Woohoooo I relaxed my hair on Friday!!!!!!!!!! After 14 weeks, on the 11th of November, and I MADE BSL!!!!!!!! But despite my sunshine there was an ominous dark cloud lurking by the wayside. I had to trim off 2 inches L. My ends were a disaster! I mean a scanty, broken, unhealthy, disaster…lol (I’m trying not to be dramatic)
Even with my no-heat diet, I still had raggedy ends. I feel that my 14 week stretch may have been responsible, but who knows. The point is that I was past BSL and cut to just about BSL.
Negativity aside, I’m quite happy with how my hair turned out. It was one of the best relaxers sessions I’ve ever had; no burns, my hair relaxed to the right texture (I didn’t over or under relax).
I tried to take pics during every step of the process, but it was quite hard. Relaxers are quite dangerous and I didn’t want to burn or over-relax my hair, so I did the best I could under the circumstances. So see below for a detailed recap of my relaxer day:
1. My tools that I used;
- Vaseline gel to base my scalp and edges
- Aphogee 2min Reconstructer as my protein treatment
- Aubrey Organics Honeysuckle Rose conditioner for dc’ing
- Mizani Butter Blends Relaxer for fine color treated hair
- Mizani Butter Blends Neutralizing Shampoo
- Wide-tooth detangling comb
- Small-tooth rattail comb
- Large alligator clip
- An applicator brush
2. My relaxer is no-lye, which means I don’t have to mix it with activator just apply it straight from the tub
3. I used Johnson & Johnson’s baby gel Vaseline for protection
4-7. I part my hair into 4 sections to base my scalp and edges, I also coat the ends of each section with the Vaseline gel.
8. I work one large section at a time and divide it into smaller sections and apply the relaxer to the new growth only.
9-11. After I apply the relaxer to my whole head, I go back and smooth my roots with the back of the small-tooth comb. I make sure that none of the relaxer gets on my ends.
12-13. I apply my neutralizing shampoo and lather 3 times. On the 3rd lather I leave the shampoo on for 7 minutes.
14. I apply my Aphogee 2 minute reconstructer (protein treatment) for 10 minutes rinse and then apply my Aubrey Organics as dc for 1 hour
15. Lost some hair… it just fell out
16. Air dried and my hair came out really soft and strong
17. My relaxer came out perfect, my hair didn’t come out bone straight, but it wasn’t under processed either (thumbs up!)
18. Past BSL but my ends are a hot mess, no more stretching for me.
19. After my trim, still have some thing ends but they aren’t as bad.
20. 2 inches off!!
NOTE: This is how I self relax! I am not a professional nor am I teaching anyone how to relax their hair. I’m not sure if I’m doing it properly in the first place, it just seems better than the alternative.